Friday, June 01, 2007

Being "well-known" in your neighbourhood

I hate it that your parents are well-known around the neighbourhood, you know. Well, I've lived here all my life, we are bound to have many friends. But to the extend that even the coffee shop vendors know I am the daughter of my father without first introducing myself to them... I got a bit sick of it, actually. I used to go down and buy lunch or breakfast or whatever and the woman selling fish ball noodles will go, "Ah Soon eh char bor kia arh?" Then she will smile at me in a way that as if she's known me all my life when I only know her as "the fish ball noodles auntie". Then everyone will look at me. Then I will nod, grab my purchases, and run off. It happens every single time, no matter how many times of the week I go. It's scared me, and everytime I want to go down I send a representative, my sis. I think she's sick of all that unwanted attention too, of being called "Ah Soon eh char bor kia". Not that we're not proud of being Ah Soon's char bor kia, of course. It's just, well, embarrassing.

No comments:

My Shoutbox


Powered By Blogger